FACTS & FIGURES
Founded in 1883
3,836 Faculty Staff
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University is ranked 5th amongst UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) based on quality, and is a member of the Russell Group, a group of 24 leading UK research intensive universities. We attract over 7,500 international students from more than 140 countries to study with us each year.
We are the 8th largest university in the UK in terms of student numbers with a total estimated income for 2014/15 of £512m.
• 31,597 students
• £100M research contracts
• 87% student satisfaction
• Among the world top 50 institutions for Psychology, Architecture, Communications and more (QS World Rankings by Subject 2016/17)
Cardiff University is a comprehensive University with 25 Academic Schools. Our Academic Schools are organized into three Colleges: College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Physical Sciences and Engineering and the College of Biomedical and Life Sciences.
Cardiff University has 31,597 students enrolled, representing over 140 countries:
• 23,085 undergraduates
• 8,512 postgraduates
• 7,520 international students (non-UK EU included)
• 83% overall satisfaction in National Student Survey 2018
• 1,000 students volunteer in the local community each year.
Student numbers confirmed by HESA for 2016/17.
Our graduates are sought-after by employers - more so than most other major UK universities.
• 95.7% of graduates enter employment, further study or both shortly after graduating*
• 160,000 alumni across the globe from more than 180 countries.
• HESA Destination of Leavers in Higher Education survey 2016/17
Cardiff University has a world-leading research community with a strong and broad research base:
• 5th university nationally in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on rankings based on quality
• 2nd university nationally in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on rankings based on impact
• our research contract awards have a total value of £100m
• we have won six Queen's Anniversary Prizes
• more than £45m has been invested in Cardiff University/Fusion IP spinouts
• we are 8th in the UK for interactions with SMEs since 2008
• we rank 5th in the UK for estimated turnover (£72m) of all active graduate start-ups during the period 2008/09 - 2013/14
• our researchers include two Nobel Prize winners - Professor Sir Martin Evans and Professor Robert Huber.
Cardiff University is a world Top 150 university (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018).We are placed 145th from more than 1,000 institutions in the QS World University Rankings 2019.